Monday, December 16, 2013

Success

Success
Over two weeks now and still paperless!  I finally feel like students are truly getting the hang of the new routine and finally I Am seeing the results I seek.  As I anticipated, the iPads are an amazing gateway into the common core world.  Because of my constant access to apps and the web, I am able to dig deeper into the curriculum in the real world context.  Let me expand,....my classes are focused more on one main idea or question because of how deep I can explore with my students.  Today, my students focused on creating expressions based on helping people buy burgers at the In and Out restaurant.  Through the lesson, we were able to experience multiple facets of this restaurants.  Although the lesson was focused on just one idea, students were able the dig deeper into the idea and show their understanding more in depth.  Using an app, called Show Me, students are able to explain their understanding as they record their answers.  Why is this so beneficial to common core?  So many times in discussions, students only speak who are confident.  Having each student record their vocal and written understanding in depth allows each student to have a voice.  I individually listen and watch the show mes with my students and discuss the mathematics and discussion techniques.  This is a safer way for quiet students to get experience talking about mathematics.  Check out this video that went with the second task in our lesson today.  This video came from one of my on grade students!  I am so I impressed!
http://www.showme.com/sh/?h=nc8BUSO

No comments:

Post a Comment