Sunday, December 8, 2013

December 5th- Day 1 with students: Let them Play,...


December 5th- First Day with Students
Let them Play,...
The students have been itching to just touch the Ipads.  Each day my students have pleaded for us to start using them. 
Let the chaos ensue,....
Just Kidding.
The first day I gave my students the I-pads, I knew I needed them to get their curiosities out of their systems.  I knew most of my students would probably know more about the apps, so I allowed them to play around.  After assigning each student an I-pad, we talked about ground rules.  I introduced them to the apps and allowed them to explore.  Pictured above is the adapter I needed to buy to display the Ipads on my screen.  This specific adapter was $29.99.  I convinced my principal to buy it for me!  Worth every penny!  Why did I not use airplay,...with the new iOS7 update, the airplay has many errors. Ug.  I guess I will have to hard wire for now.

Essential to my classroom, at least I think, are the rule I imparted on my class.  If my students are not doing the math by being on another app or another web site, they will loose their Ipad privileges for a day.  The second offense will have the student loose the Ipad for a week.  Third offenses will cause students to loose all privileges for the rest of the year.  On the first day, I had one student loose his privileges.  I plan on holding strong to my rule system.  Ipads are a true privilege in our school.
As my students "played" on the ipads, I walked around and inspected problems and celebrations.  I noticed how I had a vast divide in the skill level of my kids.  Some could easily navigate where as others had no idea what the "home" button was.  I think this exploration time was essential because I was able to pre-assess what I needed to directly teach.  I also wanted them to get their curiosities out of the way because these have not been given to me as play things, but rather an instrument to improve my instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment