Sunday, January 5, 2014

Do I-pads eliminate behavior issues?

Before I begin this post, I want to mention that I am in a city school in Hagerstown.  Our middle school has over 70 % FARMS.  Behavior issues arise on a varying basis depending on the teacher and class make-up.  Over the past few years, due to excellent administration and teacher support, our referral count had gone down, although it would still be considered high in comparison to some other school in our county.  Needless to say, behavior management is a hot topic in our area.  I have been trained in so many management strategies; I now know how to "caputre kids' hearts", teach like a "champion", slather students with "PBIS", and "nuture" kids hearts.  What is the best strategy?  Jury is out,.... 

Could a simple devise be a management strategy in itself?  I will let you decide, but I truly believe that the I-pads have transformed the management of my classroom.  I have not had a single behavior or attention issue since I have started to use them.  Having only used the I-pads for only a few weeks, perhaps the improvement in behavior is a result of the "newness" of the technology.  All I know for sure is that behavior issues have decreased and student involvement has increased.  Because the I-pads are so new, research on this topic is scarce.  What we know as educators, however, is that with increased student motivation comes less opportunity and desire for inappropriate behaviors.  Are I-Pads the fix to behavior management problems?  In my opinion, not completely, but with a strong student-teacher relationship, appropriate understanding of rules and consequences, and teacher commitment to educational usage, the I-Pads have the opportunity to transform any classroom in any area!


Want extra help with classroom management?  I have used this app and found great success!  The Classroom Dojo is also usable for teachers without apple or I-Pad technology.  Check out the website for more information.  Teachers are able to award points to students for positive and negative behavior.  Whole class behavior can be viewed throughout the week.  Individual student reports and be accessed and e-mailed to parents.  The possibilities are endless!

http://www.classdojo.com/about

No comments:

Post a Comment