Thursday, January 9, 2014

App Highlight: FaceTalk

FaceTalk
This App is AWESOME.  My students are so interested in using this application.  The App is such a great way for students to verbally explain their work while showing their personality.  Students seem to take more ownership of their work when they can put their own pizazz into it!  I personally use the Face talk to record notes and instruction.  Let's face it,...my students start to turn out the sound of my voice the moment I start talking, so my goal is to find the best ways to get across necessary instructions.  Take a look at one of the face talks I created review the topic solving variable equations with students.



I personally do not get as much enjoyment out of this app as the students do.  When the students play, they can take pictures of their friends and put their faces on body builders or squirrels.  I typically have students record explanations to problems or make "how to" videos.
 Key aspect of this endeavor:  Watch the videos, or at least some of them!  What should you focus on?  The DISCUSSION.   I typically listen to the videos with the students and critique their explanation techniques.  We talk about how they could enhance their answers for the listener to fully understand.  Humor is always welcome, but only when it make sense.  The video below is an example of a students explanation to one of the problems.  The full video was too long to upload, so the first few seconds are only shown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment